On our annual camping trip with my Aunt Marty and Uncle Tom, I wanted to take the girls out canoeing on one of the lakes at Warbler's Cove Campground. We pack up the golf cart with towels and life jackets and headed down to the lake. I didn't even forget the ores.
This was exciting, I hadn't taken the girls all together in one canoe before. I proceed to flip the canoe over. To my surprise, a big fat garter snake is slithering around at the bottom of the canoe trying to get out. My first reaction is to grab it by its tail and get it out of the canoe, but as I'm approaching the snake I make the mistake of saying, "Oh, there's a a garter snake in the canoe." Then the one and only Child #2 starts an ear piercing scream that startles me and the snake. The snake slithers into the boxed in area at the back of the canoe. I couldn't get it out. It didn't matter anyway Child #2 refused to even get within 20 feet of the canoe. At least Child #1 and #3 were calm and reasonable through the whole ordeal.
Well my next option was the paddle boats, but the boat was kind of dirty and I didn't want to spend time cleaning it out. The third option was a row boat. Now this is something I've never experienced. Yes, I've never rowed a boat before. I've canoed and kayaked, but not rowed a boat.
I love trying something new. After the snake incident, Child# 2 didn't have all that much confidence in me. It took me a few minutes to get the hang of it, but I managed to get us around the lake without any other disasters. Child #1 and #3 tried out rowing for a few minutes each. Child #2 refused. At least the boat didn't sink. We had a great afternoon rowing all over the lake.
No comments:
Post a Comment