Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Immortal Powers

Occasionally as a family we slow down together and gather around the kitchen table to hang out.

On this particular day, the girls started playing the guessing game. Child #2 asked Child #3 what number she was thinking about. Then Child #1 sat down and asked to play. All three were taking turns trying to guess the number of what the other was thinking. In between the my usual household chores, I was enjoying their peaceful play. 

After a round, they all asked me to play. Of course, I couldn't pass up this challenge so I sat down for a turn. It was Child #1's turn and I had to guess her number. The parameters to select a number was 1 to 20.

Child #1 takes a second to think of her number and then says, "Okay, guess my number."


"13"

Child #1 says with a shocked look on her face, "that's right."

Child #3 says jumping in her seat, "It's my turn. It's my turn."

Taking a moment to think of her number, I wait patiently. "I've got my number. Go ahead."

"18"

Child #3's mouth drops open with disbelief.

With a sly smile, Child #2 says, "you won't be able to guess my number."

"9"

The look on Child #2's face shows me that I've guessed her number. All at once, they start to ask me how I do that.

I quietly stand up, shrug my shoulders, and say, "Mothers know everything."

Their disbelief makes me so happy they still believe I have super human powers. The day they all realize I am a mere mortal will be a sad day. Though I know and accept that day, I will relish in their innocence for as long as I can.

"13" is Child #1's favorite number and her birthday number.
"18" is Child #3's birthday number.
"9" is Child #2's favorite number and soccer jersey number.

No comments:

Post a Comment