Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Dog Sitting or Dog Missing

My children have been begging for a dog for the last three years, but I've kept them at bay. The main reason I don't want to get a dog is because I don't want to have to board the dog when we go on vacation. This is a minor detail for some, but for me I've never boarded a dog before. And I always had a dog when I was growing up. Therefore, my children should have a dog too. Well maybe that isn't a great reason, but Child #1 would really benefit from having a dog. So her dream might be coming true, my dad is retiring in February and he will take the responsibility of watching the dog when we go on vacation. No more excuses after February.

Ironically an opportunity came up, we were given a chance to watch a small dog while her owner went to Ireland on vacation. Brandy, the dog, is a sweet, calm, laid back small dog. We've been watching her since Sunday and not once has she barked. She loves to be pet and go for walks. My husband has admitted if every dog was like Brandy, we would've had a dog a long time ago. She is such a good dog. Such a good dog that you forget she's even there. 

Today, my parents stopped over to go over some yard changes I'm trying to make so we were hanging out in the backyard on the deck talking. Then Child #1 comes outside with the dog and hangs out with us for a few minutes. It's a nice day. Not too hot. Not too cold. What a great afternoon. Child #1 goes back inside the house and my parents have to go. Child #2, #3, and me walk my parents to their car. Then I yell for Child #1 to come out and say goodbye to her grandparents.

Then I noticed, she didn't have the dog with her. It all came back to me the dog was left on the deck. I freaked out. I yell for the girls to start looking for Brandy. We were all looking for the dog. And all I can think about is how we lost the most easiest dog to watch in the world. After several minutes of searching frantically, Child #3 finds her two houses over happy as can be. I released my breath and wiped my forehead. We missed that possible tragic ending by a few minutes.

Maybe we aren't ready to have a dog yet. But the girls are very attentive most of the time to her. Decisions, decisions.

No comments:

Post a Comment