Holidays at my mom's house tend to be somewhat formal. We eat in the dining room with table cloths, wine glasses, and candle sticks (the Martha Stewart gene must skip a generation). Good conversation and a few laughs take place when we share our meal together. All was humming along when I was asked to pass the pepper. Apparently, I didn't notice the awkward silence that hushed the table previously when my mother placed the pepper on the table (I was too busy trying to help my kids fill their plates). It was kind of hard to take the whole thing serious when this was placed in my hand to pass around the table.
I busted out laughing, which broke the ice. My brothers started and couldn't stop laughing either. No one wanted to mention the similarity the pepper grinder had to another item that could possibly be found in a specialty shop. To top it off, the thing has batteries. There is no twisting the pepper out. I am still laughing. My mother's response was "That's probably why it was such a deal at the store."
Another story that will go down in the family history.
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

No comments:
Post a Comment