Friday, December 14, 2012

Who doesn't like a fictional mystery? But reality sucks!

Okay so maybe not everyone likes a mystery, but I love them especially if they're really exciting and complicated. It's a given this is my choice of genre to read, although I will read anything and do love a good comedy. Now on the subject of television it's very similar for me. I gravitate towards shows that usually have a mystery to solve, which tends to always involve a dead person (how ironic, right!). My choice of shows are the Mentalist (bonus because this is also humorous), Criminal Minds (serious), Rizzoli & Isles (funny and serious), NCIS (some funny and serious) and so on.

Since I don't really watch a whole lot of TV, my children get to dominate the screen when I allow the TV to be on. There is only so much a person can handle of Disney and Nickelodeon. I've learned to almost dislike all the shows on these stations. So when my tolerance has tipped over the edge of the cup, I take over the remote and switch to something I want to watch (This doesn't happen very often, maybe once a month or so). If they don't like it, they can leave the room. Granted, I understand that not all my shows will be appropriate for my children's age level, but my philosophy is that they can't be kept in a bubble forever either. Child #1 consistently wants the world to be all rainbows, fluffy clouds, puppy dogs, and where everyone is nice to each other. We are constantly having to show her the world is not a perfect place and she has to make the best of every situation whether it is good or bad. Ironically, a lot of discussions come out of these shows where the girls will ask questions striking up good conversations.

With all this being said, I let the girls watch an episode of NCIS. Of course the beginning scene always shows the death of the person they will eventually investigate. This particular episode a person dressed as a clown shoots the intended victim. Definitely a mistake. The clown disguise freaked them out. All three of them slept in the same bed for 2 weeks. Child #2 kept talking about how she couldn't stop imagining a clown around every corner that would jump out at her and shoot her. After several weeks, they got over it. Then that horrible tragedy happened in Newtown, CT, which my heart goes out to all of those victims and families. I can't ever imagine the heartbreak they've had to endure. Bridging the gap between fiction and reality gets closer and closer. I don't know if I have the answers for my children, but honesty is the path I've taken. I'll keep my fingers cross that they'll be prepared to go out into the world and be productive citizens.  

No comments:

Post a Comment