Saturday, March 8, 2014

Heat Wave

With the temperatures rising to 30-40 degrees, the Midwest is having a heat wave and the snow is starting to recede. I was able to make my first outside run for the year. It was heavenly. Believe me it's been a really long winter here. I haven't ran outside for over 3 months. I think this might be a record. My relationship with the treadmill is rocky these days. We needed a break.

Once I was outside, the caged in feeling was placated. The dirt on the side of the road was perfect. Soft and not too muddy, almost pillowy-like. As you can image, the softness of the dirt makes the impact feel  like you're running on a cloud. I love it.

Afterward, I felt great. My lungs were a little sore, but manageable. The cooler air tends to cause me to hack up a lung after a run, but I view it as cleaning out the dust from the inside environments I'm forced to be in throughout the winter. Transitioning from cold to warm is a killer on the lungs.

We won't think about the next day because that's when the muscle soreness sets in. Of course none of this will deter me from jump starting my running routine outside every year. The temperature and ice can only delay me. I refuse to be caged in.

Live, love, and enjoy! Go for a run...or walk.

No comments:

Post a Comment