Monday, October 12, 2009

The power of CraigsList

Several months ago, my mom suggested that Child #1 needed a desk to do her home work on. I didn’t see a need since she does her homework with us at the kitchen table.

Of course a couple of weeks ago, Child #1 requested that she have a desk to do her homework on. Surprise, surprise. I wonder where she got that idea.

Like I always do, I waited about a week or so. Obviously, to get the second request or third request before I actually take action. And I know once I agree to get a desk for Child #1, Child #2 and #3 will want one too. So I am mentally planning out how to rearrange their rooms (again) to fit the desks.

I start my search on www.craigslist.com. There are a lot of choices, but I am looking for real cheap. I know for a fact all three will trash these desks. Between stickers and markers, the desks won’t have a chance.

My requirements are small, wood and drawers (for personal space). I come across a desk for $10. I send out my email and get a response. Ironically, the pick up is in our city (very convenient and the desk was the perfect size, wood and had drawers). James picked this up on Thursday. Child #1 was so excited.

Second desk, requested $30, but I waited too long to schedule a pick up time and lost that one, which turned out for the best.

Third desk, requested $15, maple desk with drawers, perfect size and included matching hutch and chair. This was the best deal by far and was in better condition than the first one. Pick up was pretty close too, which James picked up on Friday.

Almost there just need one more. Of course, Child #3 is getting mad she doesn’t have her desk yet so I am anxious to get another desk.

Forth desk, requested $15 and meets my requirements. Looks very similar to the second one we picked up. I email the owner for pick up time on Saturday. I email her Saturday morning to confirm the time and get her address. No response. I email again in the afternoon. No response. Then I email her on Sunday morning, requesting I need to pick up the desk today (Child #3 isn’t very happy about the delay on her desk). Finally I get an email with her address and the time to pick up. I send James to go pick it up. He calls the owner before he gets there and no one answers. He waits around and calls me. I call the owner and get no answer. At this point, I am a little pissed. I JUST NEED THE DAM DESK. Well she finally comes out with the desk. James calls me back after he has the desk to tell me he has locked his keys in his truck.

I piled all the kids into the car to bring him the spare set of keys for his truck. Thankfully, a local was able to give him the tools to pop the locks (coat hanger and screw driver) so I actually didn’t have to drive all the way there.

3 desks in 4 days, equals 3 happy children, not bad for $40.

I love www.craigslist.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment