Thursday, January 28, 2010

Girly-Girls vs Tomboys

I love it, but I don't get it.

The girls choose to wear dresses, tights and all the girly-girl stuff for Child #1's winter school concert. And I let them pick out their dresses and tights even if they don't match (I completely support individualism. Child#3 wore a spring tank top light green flower dress with a long sleeve pink and white poodle shirt and brown tights, black shoes).

All three act sophisticated and mature during the concert. Child #2 is extremely excited for next year when she will be able to get up on the stage and sing.

Then we get home from school and I take a few minutes to talk with James before I start dinner. Meanwhile Child #1 and Child #2 decide that it would be fun to run from the back of the hallway to the kitchen and slide on their knees (still dressed in dresses and tights). Each one is trying to see how far they can slide. Next they get the great idea to fold a blanket, run and slide on the blanket across the kitchen floor (I have to say it does look fun).

I know you were expecting someone to get hurt, so was I. No one got hurt.

So I can relate to the crazy act (it really looked fun), but the girly-girl stuff is a little foreign to me(at least when I was a kid, my mom always had to fight to get braids and dresses on me). Maybe you can be both a girly-girl and a tomboy. As a kid I always thought you couldn't be both, but that could be because I grew up with two brothers.

I guess the girls will be more well rounded than I was. They can dress girly, but can have fun when they want to. Only time will tell.

I am really enjoying this.

No comments:

Post a Comment