Monday, June 7, 2010

Ignore or keep explaining?

Apparently, the more you do with your kids, the more they want. I am still trying to figure out the perfect balance for my kids, but I might be loosing the battle on this one.

James and I love to do things with our kids, but sometimes when we come off a busy weekend they tend to whine when we aren't doing something during the week. Now, I have always made a point to have down time, but as they get older and see what others are doing they want to do the same.

On the flip side, sometimes they complain when we have to go to the grocery store or to Target. I probably won't ever get away from the complaining, but I tend to get upset when their complaining is not justified.

Normally, I explain that they are very fortunate children considering not everyone gets to do what they do. My standard comments "Life is not fair" "Some children won't ever get a chance to do what you are doing" "We can't afford to do that" "Not every family has three children" "We're not rich." James has just accepted that our children are spoiled, but offers no help on how to change their attitude. Should I ignore the complaining or should I keep saying my comments?

No comments:

Post a Comment