Six days ago, I had to get some paperwork done and get ready for the closing on a house, but my children were complaining they were bored and wanted to do something. So I got this great idea about setting up the slip'n slide outside. The girls were in their swimsuits and barefoot. I was connecting the hose when I noticed Child #3 kneeling down on the driveway looking down at the ground. Well, Child #1 was curious too. Finishing up with the slide, I was interrupted with a high pitched scream, "MOM, THERE'S BLOOD. OH MY GOD! THERE'S A LOT OF BLOOD. MOM. MOM. MOM." Then another high pitched scream with no words just screams from Child #3.
I quickly ran over to see what all the craziness was about. Child #3 stubbed her toe (took the whole layer of skin off the top of her big toe). I picked her up and set her down on a chair on the porch. Remember the screaming was still going on. I calmed down Child #1, but #3 is still hysterical (I have to admit there was a lot of blood, but Child #1 was taking the hysteria a little too far. It's not like she hasn't seen blood before). I ran inside to grab a wet paper towel and a band aid. The neighbors probably just love me with hysterical screaming children left outside. I come back out clean up the wound and put a big band aid on. Then carrier her inside. She's crying, but not screaming anymore.
Great timing right? I was a little upset and told Child #3 she can't go barefoot or wear flip flops ever again. Knowing this was really an unrealistic expectation (Child #3 tends to trip a lot). but she agreed to it. Of course, I still had to finish setting up the slip'n slide and get my paperwork and make the closing time.
After a day of the band aid, I took it off to let the wound air out a little. Later in the afternoon, I had to go to the store. So everyone got their shoes on and we were off. After we came home Child #3 takes off her tennis shoe and started screaming again. There was blood seeping through her sock. (Damn it, I forgot to put a band aid back on before she put her sock on). Okay no problem I can fix this except when she tried to take her sock off, the blood had dried a little and the sock was stuck to her toe. This didn't help the screaming one bit. Into the bathtub we go to soak the sock to get it off. It worked, but I'm not sure if I'll be able to hear out of my left ear again.
Ironically two days later, we headed out to Michigan for our annual camping trip. About half way through the trip, we stop for a restroom break. Everything's all good until Child #2 calmly says to Child #3, "I think your toe is bleeding again."
Child #3 looked down and started crying and screaming again. Sure enough, it soaked through her sock again. We get in the car and she tried to take it off, but it was stuck again. At this point, I just want to get to our destination. So I have her elevate her foot making her comfortable as possible and when we get to the campground we'll soak it again.
We make it to Aunt Marty's and I carry her in. Child #3 screams bloody murder when I try to put her toe in the bathtub. I think she's going to be traumatized for the rest of her life. I force her foot in the water and the sock falls off. It took two more days before the toe healed. What a disaster. All over a stubbed toe. Well at least we know Child #1 will never be a doctor or a nurse.
No comments:
Post a Comment