There's always one of those small things that you say you are going to fix and never do. Well, this time it was a small little stapler that Child #1 had brought home. After a few uses it became jammed. Child #1 and Child #2 had asked me to fix it several times, but I always brushed them off ( they have access to my normal sized stapler if needed).
Today, Child #2 asks me again to fix it so I agree to it. In order to get the jammed staple out, I needed a knife. Child #2 hurries to get me a butter knife from the kitchen.
All is good, I easily push the staple out and readjust the other staples so it is as good as new. Possibly too good. Child #2 runs off to finish her project she was working on.
Not even one minute later, Child #2 runs back down the hall in that panicky voice every mother never wants to hear, "I just stapled my thumb. Mom, I just stapled my thumb."
Okay at this moment, I'm going to stay calm. It's probably just a little piece of the staple stuck in her skin. No big deal. Right?
No. It's a pretty big deal. I've never seen a staple stuck that far into the skin before. Granted, I wanted to freak out, but I stayed calm and collective trying to sooth her while I figured out what to do. The staple was all the way through her thumb. The end was probably touching the back of her nail. In a strange way, I was a little fascinated. I pull her into the bathroom, not sure how much blood would spurt out when the staple was removed.
Surprisingly, the staple came out pretty easily. Nothing more than a pin prick of blood. I quickly wash it, dump hydrogen peroxide over it, and put a band aid on it. I wash my hands and my emergency room is closed for the evening.
The stapler went straight into the garbage and Child# 2 was banned from using anymore staplers.
No comments:
Post a Comment