When it is 90 degrees, everyone gets a little irritated. But when it's 90 degrees and there's no air conditioning, everyone gets a little hot (pun intended).
So our central air kept running, but nothing was really coming out of the vents. Of course, I shut it down and consulted the fix-it guy. Well the fix-it guy comes home and messes with the thermostat. Suddenly, the central air unit won't even turn on. Now the fix-it guy is not just hot temperature-wise, he's hot temper-wise. And when the fix-it guy is hot temper-wise, look out. We will call it mildly frustrated. I tell him to let it go and I'll call someone on Monday. Yeah, no. He can't let it go. He calls several friends to help him troubleshoot the problem. Nothing.
Next morning, he gives it one more shot and turns the air on. Miracle of miracles its starts. Then he shuts it off and tries it again. Nothing. This is where I begin to tell him our house is haunted (I've known this for years, but that's another story). I push on the thermostat and it starts. Something is wrong with the thermostat, which is weird because we just replaced the thermostat a few years ago. He rips the unit off the wall (literally) and hard wires the two wires that make the air run. Apparently, heating and air conditioning are a simple system. It's the computerized thermostats that have made it complicated.
Basically, I get to turn on the air conditioning with a simple twist of a wire nut holding two wires together. Then when I want to shut it off, I will have untwist the wire nut. Fun.
The fix-it guy went out and got a new thermostat. Yeah the air is back on and working. Just in time for Tuesday's cool 70 degree weather.
No comments:
Post a Comment