Friday, June 1, 2012

Where Magical Dreams Come True...

It happened. After some maternal grandparent brow beating, we broke down and took the kids to Disney World in Florida. Now James and I've never been to Disney World and we turned out okay (I know some might differ on this, but for the most part we are productive people in society). I didn't really see the need to go, but with some outside influence I booked the trip. 

I went into this trip knowing my children would only be able to handle so much. The trip was planned for six nights. Three parks and two down days. First night, we settle into our hotel and swim in the pool. First day, Animal Kingdom. Second day, Magic Kingdom. Third day, down day at the beach. Fourth day, Universal Studios. Fifth day, down day to swim or do whatever we feel like. Sixth day, we fly home. Knowing everything might not go as planned, I didn't have that high of expectations.

Overall, everything went fairly well. The only thing I didn't expect was the how extreme Child #2 was going to complain. Now I definitely expected some complaining, but she was down right horrible. Screaming at us on how she didn't want to go to Disney and how we made her go. She hated us for it. All she wanted to do was go swimming. Granted, it was hot, but we had been in air conditioning for several rides and shows at the Animal Kingdom. Thank God, we went early and had gone on most of the rides and seen most of the shows. At this point, I said to her that she will be banned from any future family vacations. She will be staying with one of her grandpas next year. The funny thing is she agreed to this (of course, the next day she denied that she agreed to it). Child # 1 and #3 were much more grateful. I'd say Child #1 was definitely the most mature.

By the end of the trip, Child #2 had lost her Birthday party that we were going to have in the summer. I have to say I am definitely running out of threats. So next summer, we might become a family of four on our family vacation. We'll see. Though Child #2 did apologize several times for her behavior. The problem is that the behavior continues to be the same just on a different day.

So what did I learn at Disney World? I learned that I can't stand people. I realized that I use all my patience up on my children  and I have nothing left for other people. Disney is not my cup of tea. Give me a mountain to hike or a trail to ride or a road to run on any day. I'm glad the girls had the opportunity to go. It was a one (one and only) in a life time chance.

On the happy side, we did have fun. Child #2 got better as the trip went on. Several rides, we had a blast on and went on more than once. They will have great memories and pictures to remember the trip forever. Thank God it is over and we are home.

No comments:

Post a Comment