Child #1 and Child #2 continue to tag team me with temper tantrums. I almost feel like their hormone levels are more out of whack than my thirty-five year old hormones.
Today it was Child #1's turn to throw a two year old temper tantrum. While in the shower enjoying the heat and relaxation, I hear feet kicking on the ground, moaning and whining outside the door. The first thought to come to mind, "great, now what is she crying about." Ignoring everything outside the door, I continue with my routine. Then I hear something about missing her blanket (I know I can hear all the critiques now, my nine year old still has a blanket. It used to be called Buba when she was little, but now that she is nine she just calls it blanket. There are reasons we haven't taken it away, but that's a whole other story).
So the next thought that comes to mind, "Are you kidding me, what is wrong with her? A blanket. She is having a fit over a blanket right now. She's going to school in thirty minutes." As these thoughts flow through my rational mind, I can feel the irritation and anger start to build. I never had a temper tantrum at nine, maybe two (my mother will be over joyed to tell the stories about my temper tantrums at two years old), but not nine years old. What the hell is wrong with her?
So I whip the door open and tell her to "Go look for it."
Her response is more moaning, kicking, crying and she yells at me, "I did look for it. I can't find it."
Of course, I say, "Get in your room for yelling at me."
Kicking and yelling more at me, she gets up and goes in her room. Then she says crying and yelling still, "Why am I being punished? I didn't do anything wrong."
At this point envision the cartoon character that is boiling mad and you watch the red color take over his neat outline of his body from his feet to his head. Then the steam comes out the ears. This is exactly how I am feeling. I whip the bathroom door open, stomp into the Child #1's room and tell her
"This behavior is unacceptable at nine years old. You are acting like a two year old or a spoiled brat. You choose. I will not tolerate this behavior that is why you are being punished. It is not all about you, Child#1."
With this great speech, all the tears and whining stop abruptly. Maybe I'm actually getting through to her.
Child #1 says, "When you yell at me, can you please put some clothes on?"
I bust out laughing, "If my naked body is going to torture you that bad, I will have to remember that for next time."
I walk back into the bathroom. I hear a laugh and she says, "Ewww. Mom it's so gross. It's all jiggly and stuff."
Now I have a new threat to stop unacceptable behavior.
Have a great day!
No comments:
Post a Comment