Do you remember when you were a kid (obvious this won't work for the generations older than myself) and someone had a black and white TV? First you were fascinated because it looked so different then you started asking the internal questions. Why don't they have a color TV? Why don't they just go buy a color TV?
Then I became an adult, a wife, a homeowner, a parent.
For my kids, it is like this, but with the old tube TV's versus the big flat screen TV's. Instead of the questions being asked with they, my kids are asking we. Okay, if you need help following me here. Why don't we have a big flat screen TV? Why don't we just go buy a flat screen TV?
My simple answer has always been. Why? The ones we have all work just fine.
Lately, do to my utter dislike of the cable company, I've wanted one of the new internet ready TVs. I've been waiting patiently (its been about two years now) for our old (15 year old) TV to die. It's still going strong. Basically, I want to get rid of cable and my land line and just use the internet. We don't watch a whole lot of TV so we could get by with Netflix and www.hulu.com. Plus the kids can watch all the www.disney.com and www.nick.com programs online.
Like everyone else, I've been browsing the Black Friday ads. I've only shopped Black Friday one other time in my life and that was five years ago when I went to buy a camera, which I didn't even have to wait in line for.
The high priority present this year happened to be I-pod touches. In order to get a good deal, I was going to have to venture out on the crazy Black Friday shopping event. This year, almost all the stores were enticing shoppers with TV doorbuster sales. I saw this as an opportunity to exploit only if I could convince my handyman to wait in line (handyman not so good with lines or waiting) with me to grab a TV while I grabbed the I-pods.
Surprisingly, he was willing to wait in line and even go an hour early just to ensure getting our needed items. It was a successful mission. We were able to get what we needed and a 50" flat screen TV for $330. What a bargain. I'm not sure I would've bought a new TV if the prices weren't so cheap lately.
Buying the TV turned out to be the easy part. Rearranging the furniture and cable hook-up location (handyman wasn't very happy about this) was a little more time consuming. I'm not ready to dump cable just yet (I still need to get a Roku box) so I had to go to the cable company and switch out our cable box in order for the TV to work.
Anyway the kids can come out of the dark and enjoy their color TV now. I have to admit it's pretty cool.
Have a safe weekend.
No comments:
Post a Comment