Stubborn
Unyielding
Headstrong
Obdurate
Dogged
So our household has expanded again. I may have to change this blog to Life with 3 children and a dog. Maybe I could teach the dog to blog. Oh that's right Disney has already covered that one. Make sure you really feel that sarcasm, twist it in deep.
I know you were thinking all of those stubborn synonyms were directed toward the new puppy we've adopted. Ah cont rare. I tricked you. Those synonyms are all directed to my lovely Child #2. I give her kudos (are they still selling the Kudos granola bar in the store? Apparently they have a website.) for being who she is and never, I mean never changing what she stands for.
Anyway, I've been talking to the kids about how our schedule is going to change. Yep, I'm going back to work. I'm in the process of interviewing with a few companies. In preparing my three lovely children, last night I explained that they may have to go to before care at school or I will have to work out some arrangement with Grandpa H to watch them before getting on the school bus. All of them claim they could be responsible enough to get themselves on the bus. I listened to all their arguments. Child #2 protested the most. Apparently, some kids were telling her how horrible the before and after care was at school.
It's possible Child #2 has gotten some of her shiftiness from me, but I still blame the handyman on her personality. This morning I decide to test them. I purposely don't say anything about the time. Normally, I announce how many minutes they have or what time it is (usually I count about five or six references about the time in a morning, not to mention how many times I say get dress, brush your teeth, comb your hair, eat breakfast). Though they were playing very nicely together and not fighting, I still didn't mention the time. Low and behold, it was 8:51am and the bus stopped and drove away as they all ask, "Was that our bus?"
Inside I'm snickering to myself, but I'm calmly sitting at the table waiting for the freak out session. Well, Child #2 beats her sisters to it.
"How are we going to get to school?"
"Moms, going to make us walk now."
Imagine all of these phrases being screamed in a high pitched voice. Or even in a full out tantrum session. Ironically, Child #1 and Child #3 stayed calm.
"What are we going to do?"
I finally chime in, "I will be taking you to school." Of course, I couldn't help myself. "I just tested your guys and you've failed. Before and after school care will be necessary when I go back to work."
That didn't go over so well with Child #2. Since I was taking my time gathering all my stuff to get into the car, Child #2 wasn't having any of it. She continued to yell irrational things at the world and stomped out the door and yells something about walking to school.
Shaking my head, I start up the car. I let it warm up (it's still only 20 degrees out). Child #1 started to get worried about Child #2 and said so. I look down the street. She had made it fairly far. I was impressed. Laughing I say to Child #1 and #3, I'm going to drive by and not stop. Let's see what she does." Child #1 is against this. Child #3 laughs.
Of course, I do this. As soon as she realized I wasn't going to stop, she started running after us (I was looking in the rear view mirror). I pull over, she stops running, and takes her grand old time to reach us. Instead of hopping in the car, she walks with a stubborn stomp right past the car. I bust out laughing so this time I drive by her waving out the window with a big smile across my face. Again she starts running after the car. I eventually pull over. I could hear her yelling at us. Again she stops running and takes her time. Child #3 asks should I open the door for her. I told her to go ahead and do that.
Child #2 is about to go around the open door and I state, "If you pass the car, I will not stop again. I will let school know you refused to get in the car and that you are walking to school."
Child #2 gets into the car. Her disgruntle face is amazing. I wish I could've taken a picture. I am still laughing about this. There has to be a better word than stubborn for this child. Let's not think about the teenage years. It's not going to be funny then.
No comments:
Post a Comment