Spain was fun and beautiful. A little metropolitan and culture mixed in with a beach vacation. Though, it takes going out of the country to realize how rude your fellow Americans can be.
At a quaint little beach side restaurant in Torresmolinos, Spain called Chiringuito "La Macarena." Service and food were excellent, a little pricey, but you'll find higher prices at the beach vs in town or off the boardwalk. We enjoyed grilled Sea Bass and a T-Bone Steak lamb style.
Anyway half way into our meal. We discovered two older ladies speaking English near us. Understand, we were in Spain during the off season so there wasn't that many tourist hanging around so we thought it was great that we found other USAers. We asked where they were from and they told us. One from California and the other from Washington. Then they asked where we were from. This was where it all went down hill. We mention we were from Wisconsin. I kid you not, the lady from California said, "Wisconsin. No ones from Wisconsin." Then turns back to her dinner companion ignoring us. Add a big snobby undertone to that comment and you just lit the flame under my chair. Lucky for this lady, I only had half a bottle of wine at this point. So I put on my best fake grin and said, "Oh I can vouch that there are people living there, but I grew up just out side of San Diego in a small community called Poway." The recognition and shock was all over her face. I'm pretty sure she did a flinch or double take kind of like when you don't believe what you saw and you quickly look again. Slowly, she says, "Huh, that is close to where my daughter lives. Her and her family live in Encinitas." Then I turned and ignored them to finish off the rest of the bottle of wine and got out of there.
We had better experiences with our neighbors to the north than our own country men. We met several Canadians (French and English) that were great people. Though we did meet a nice couple from New Jersey in Madrid. They were fun and polite. Apparently, the few stuck up USAers ruined it for the rest of us.


No comments:
Post a Comment