Saturday, April 20, 2013

New Schedule

On my journey back to work, I knew there would be a transition stage of getting use to a new schedule. What I didn't factor in was the sleep aspect of it all.

Everything I did while I was not working I still have to do. With my three year hiatus, I became accustom to sleeping seven to eight hours at night and for some reason if I didn't get eight hours I could take it easy the next day. The revelation hit me this week after I realized when I used to work full time the one thing I would sacrifice so I could accomplish everything that needed to be done was sleep.

Sleep deprivation makes me a little crazy when I am under pressure. I almost believe this is the reason for most post par tum depression cases. Since I don't have any children under the age of two anymore, I can't exactly make that claim. But (did you visualize the raised index finger?), I do have a puppy under the age of one so I did discover if I don't fall asleep when I take the puppy out for her last potty break, I don't get enough sleep for the night. Sometimes it is hard to unwind when I've been going nonstop from five in the morning (when the puppy whines to go outside) to nine at night (last potty break at night) when I finally collapse on my bed. My analytical mind won't always shut down for me on command. I find myself analyzing my days experiences and making plans for the next day (very bad habit).

I don't have a solution yet, but I'm hoping I will get better at this as the weeks go on or at least adjust to lack of sleep again.

Make the best out of your day!

1 comment:

  1. Now I feel guilty requesting that you watch Brandi on June 13 to 15 for trip to graduation out East. Moxie
    The sleep changes in life and when you need the most you get the least

    ReplyDelete