Friday, March 27, 2009

Worst Mom Award Goes to...

It's official I am the worst mom ever. The morning started okay. My routine was good until the mid morning when some unforeseen circumstances came up at work and threw me for a loop. I had dove into the issues at hand and was coming just coming out of them when the phone rang. I work from home on Fridays so it was my home phone that I was checking the caller ID on. It was child number one's school calling. Now at this point I am saying to myself that is weird they are calling me at 4:00 pm she would have already been on the bus. I pick up the phone. It is the secretary at school. She proceeds to inform me that my daughter said she was supposed to be picked up at school, but they had put her on the bus because no one was there to pick her up.

Let me explain that I rely on my sister-in-law for before and after school care. So I drop her off in the morning and she takes the bus with my nephew to and from school everyday. My sister-in-law had informed me earlier in the week and confirmed yesterday that she was taking my nephew to the doctors for a check up after school and wouldn't be home for my daughter. I had agreed to pick her up from school. No problem.

My exact words were "Oh my God! I have to go get her." The secretary proceeds to tell me what bus she is on and I hang up on her. I literally had a heart attack. She was going to freak out if I didn't get there before she got off the bus. I think I might have driven 55 in a 35 mph zone. It is also possible I might have pissed off a few people on the way too and I definitely experienced a little case of road rage that involved a few F-boms as well. I was completely panicking thinking she was going to have to go to therapy for this one. She's a very sensitive kid and little things can effect her dramatically. I wasn't completely sure how this experience would play out. In my head, I was already figuring out where we could fit in a therapy session during the week.

But I got there just in time to pick her up as the bus pulled up to the stop. She was teary eyed, but holding up well. I apologized continually and then we went over a plan just in case I wasn't there in the future to pick her up not that this would ever happen again.

I think she forgave me for now. To be continued...whether that holds true for the future.

1 comment: