Sunday, March 1, 2009

Self absorbed, Pretentious, Busybody

Since my kids go to daycare, I have had experience dealing with other families. Over the years, I have overcome several challenges. However, yesterday was a delightful encounter I wasn't expecting to experience. Child number one had a birthday party to go to. This is a family I have known for several years from the daycare, but the girls go to different schools now so my child didn't know any of the other girls at the party except for the birthday girl. No big deal, she needed a check on her comfort zone anyway. Child #1 had reverted back to her old shyness that I haven't seen in over six months. She wanted me to stay so the mom hosting the party distracted her and I snuck out the door. I had to run a few errands and then I came back about half hour before it was over.

I was catching up with the birthday girl's mom when I was rudely interrupted with a "I don't think I know you," (of course, you don't know me bimbo, we've never met) the mom turns to address the birthday girl's mom, "who is she?" (Where did you learn your socializing skills? From a pig?) After she realized she said this in a snotty-tone, she kind of laughed it off and said, "Which one is your daughter?" (Let me give you a few pointers on socializing with people you don't know, "Hi my name is Bimbo XXX, what is your name? Simple. No?)

Now, I have to explain something about myself (most of you know already), I don't give two shits what people think about me. Further more, I don't care if you are the president of the PTO or the president of the United States. My kids are the most important thing to me not what status you hold in the community. Now I know I'm not perfect and I'm completely aware of my faults, opinionated, loud and obnoxious occasionally, but these almost always take place in appropriate places. What you see is what you get?

Obviously, my first impression wasn't the best of this self absorbed, pretentious, busybody, thinks she knows everyone woman. Granted, I'm not as hot headed as I used to be (maturity must have come and hit me upside the head when I had kids) so I politely continue with the conversation answering her question. I explain who my kid is and before I can complete my sentence she quickly tells me who her kid is and what she is wearing. Since I have a pretty good sense of when people want to know more, I tell her that my daughter and the birthday girl went to daycare together. The birthday girl's mom jumps in to add, "They have been buddies for awhile," (Give five points to the birthday girl's mom). The Bimbo quickly asks, "What school does your daughter go to?" At this point, she is trying to gauge if I am worthy to socialize with or not. I answer her civilly. The only benefit of doubt I can give this woman is maybe the way I'm dressed (not that this is any kind of excuse but we have all been guilty of it one time or another). My weekend outfit consists of jeans, t-shirt, zip-down hoodie and no make-up with my hair in a messy bun (or what Child #1 calls a puffy-tail). I've always looked young for my age, which is something not to complain about except when you are twenty-one and you look sixteen. According to my loving husband, I've graduated to looking nineteen when I'm in my weekend gear (Oh, goody!).

Popularity has never been a priority to me, I like to hang out with people who are real, have similar interests and love to have fun. This whole conversation was quite entertaining for me and gave my husband and I a good laugh. I am always fascinated with people's behavior and what drive's them.

No comments:

Post a Comment