Monday, June 15, 2009

Are smoothies really worth the trouble?

Some days when I think I have enough time I try to overcompensate for not being a better mother by making the perfect breakfast in the morning. Of course, my children don’t actually appreciate it (most of the time they complain about something), but I continue to do it anyway (because I’m the mom and I think I know what’s best).

On to preparing the yummy smoothie they like. I equally pour the smoothie into the same size cups (so there will be no complaining about which cup they get). And I even give each a straw (what a nice mom I am). Now onto making the toast (whole grain, high fiber bread sprinkled lightly with a cinnamon/sugar mixture, otherwise they won’t eat the wheat bread). As I busy myself with the toast, the dreadful silence befalls followed by the slap of a cup hitting the floor.

At this point in the morning, I was actually on time for work. Everyone was dressed and packed for school. We just had to eat, brush our teeth and get out the door. No matter how early I wake up on a Monday, something always seems to throw me off my schedule.

The problem wasn’t actually the spillage of smoothie all over my floor. It was the bounce factor when the smoothie hit the floor. The projecting liquid splattered all over the back of my nicely pressed pants. Not just a few drops like when you step in a rain puddle, but more like when a car drives through a puddle and the water splatters all over your back. This pretty much tipped the scale and I had a melt down.

But all is good because the same child spilled her full glass of milk at dinner. Who’s idea was it to get them off of sippy cups? On the bright side, I already have half the floor mopped.

No comments:

Post a Comment