Monday, March 15, 2010

Anniversary Date Night

We went out to a restaurant to celebrate our anniversary together. We picked a Japanese Stake house (Seigos in Sussex, WI). We've been before and really enjoy the fun atmosphere (I love the Martinis).

Except this time, we were seated with an older couple and a family with four kids (probably just bad luck). The whole point for us to go out is to not be with kids.

Surprisingly, the kids were well behaved, but I wasn't really interested in having a conversation with children between the ages of 5 and 12 (especially on a Saturday evening). Which was good because James and I really enjoy each other so we have a lot to talk about. We basically chatted with ourselves and briefly with the older couple next to us.

By this time, we've avoided talking with the family, however, I've overheard her conversation with the older couple and all she can talk about is her kids.

After two Martinis, I have to use the restroom so when I come back James has been sucked into a conversation with the mom of the family. And of course, she pulls me into the conversation about my kids. I am trying to be polite and let her chat about her kids. She is oblivious to how irritated we and the older couple are with having to talk about children so I think some of my comments have really gone over her head.

Now remember I am working on my third Martini by this time.

Example 1, the million dollar question that is always asked to us "Are you going to have anymore children?" My response, "Absolutely NOT!" She continues to go on how she would love to have more children (yeah because you have nothing else to talk about and not once does she talk to her husband during the dinner). At this point I stick my finger down my throat, figuratively.

Example 2, Then she talks about how great it is to have the older ones take care of the younger ones like on their family vacation. My response, "I want my children to be children not parents and I will never make my older children be responsible for the younger ones." She still doesn't get the hint.

Example 3, Without missing a beat, she goes into how her youngest has such stomach problems with different kinds of foods. I think my eyes have gone cross-eyed at this point. I think the old couple is chuckling at my comments. I might have been a little snappy when I said, "Well you figure out what foods don't work and you don't feed them those anymore."

We finally got our bill, paid and quickly left. Now, I was laughing by the time I got out to the parking lot, but come on.

Note to all mothers out there when having conversations with other adults (not your girlfriends): If you can't hold a conversation without talking about your kids, please pick up a newspaper or read an article online. This will arm you with other topics to talk about.

No comments:

Post a Comment