Saturday, May 8, 2010

Mother's Day Gift

Child #1 comes home yesterday with a Mother's Day card that she made at school. Attached to the card were 2 Hershey Kisses and 1 one hundred grand mini candy bar. After school is definitely snack time for my kids, which a small snack is my solution to the never ending questions "What's for dinner?" "I'm starving." "When are we going to eat?"

Anyway, without even a thought Child #1 ripped off all the candy on the card and ate every last piece of candy. She didn't even offer any to her sisters who were complaining they don't get any candy. Because the mother I am, I knew she wanted to eat the candy. I saw the greediness in her eyes before we even got out of the truck when we got home. But I thought she would have at least asked me first. Nope. Nothing.

I was so intrigued by her behavior that I waited for her to finish all the candy before I said anything (What? Sometimes guilt is better than correction).

She finished the candy licking her lips and chocolate stains on her face.

Then I asked, "Wasn't that card for Mother's Day?"

"Yes," Child #1 answered.

"Wouldn't the candy be included in that card for Mother's Day?"

"But Mooommmm, I made it and I wanted the candy."

"But what if I wanted the candy isn't Mother's Day for me?"

"Mom, you wouldn't have liked it anyway."

I left it at that for her to think about it. I had to hold back all my chuckling because I thought it was hilarious. Not that I condone the selfishness, but she is the first child and she always gives into her sisters and is a very selfless child most of the time so I wasn't going to stop her from her minor lapse of selfishness. Other parents might disagree, but this is my blog so I can write what I want:)

Another parent response (a close friend's reply), "Well, that's what you get for being healthy all the time."

I could only laugh at the response. Child #1 really assumed I wouldn't want the candy. Which is completely fine, I will keep to my secret stash of Riesen:)

No comments:

Post a Comment