Thursday, November 3, 2011

Middle Child Worries

Child #2 says, "Mom, all the movies are either about love or have a happy ending."

I say, "What a great observation. You are right."

Now her observation is a little bias considering I don't let her watch too many bad movies that don't have happy endings. And my answer is the mama bear trying to keep the big bad world of reality at the front door. But I know sooner or later the front door is going to unlock and open. Well, I would say it has already been unlocked, but not quite open yet. I try to give them as much reality as I can without scaring them.

At six, Child #2 appears to be very intuitive and observant. Hell, I don't even know if I would've made that observation at six (I was the middle child and understand everything Child #2 goes through even though I'm the water and she's the oil). I am completely floored by her comment.

Of course, my mind goes into overdrive. What does this mean? Is she beyond her years already? What career choice would be good for? Will she find a job that will use her skills to the best of her ability? She probably would be great as a scientist. (Don't judge me on this because you know you all do it when your kid does something amazing. You go down that line "Oh he'll be a great doctor or what a savvy lawyer she'll make).

On the flip side, this could be bad for the teenage years. Then a sudden flash of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde comes to mind. The scary mad scientist creating something bad for the world. She already knows how to maneuver and manipulate her sisters into to doing what she wants them to do. Child #2 has a strategic mind where she usually is already two steps ahead of what you are thinking. If scientist doesn't pan out, maybe we can focus her energy on cards. Her dad can start grooming her to play poker for a back up plan. Hey don't laugh. Everyone needs a back up plan.    

No comments:

Post a Comment