So I turned 32. I have never really felt my birthday was that important anyway. When I was younger, it seemed most people weren’t able to make a birthday shadowing Memorial Day weekend because other obligations like vacations and family celebrations were happening. So when I would have a birthday party, it was always on the weekend before or after Memorial Day weekend. As a kid, you realize, if you can switch your birthday celebration to whichever weekend you want who cares when you celebrate it as long as you get the party. Right?
As I got older, I realized my birthday really is insignificant compared to what Memorial Day really stands for. All of the soldiers who have died for this country and all the veterans who still are living are beyond the scale of a single person’s birthday, turning 32. And not to forget all the soldiers overseas fighting a war that is not labeled a war, but truly by definition is a war. The year I was born, my birthday actually landed on Memorial Day so maybe I have a little compassion towards what the day truly represents.
Enough sentiment, this year it landed on a Saturday and not on Memorial Day weekend so it was all about me for my 32nd birthday, however my mind still feels 24 and my body definitely feels 32. At least it’s not like when I turned 30 and felt my youthful life was over, finished, buried six feet under. The five stages of grief come to mind.
Denial- You can’t be the cute fun drunk at the office party anymore. You are just perceived as the drunk of the party.
Anger-You despise any one who looks younger than you. Eyeing up other women who do look younger and secretly picking out every flaw in them. This might not be the most mature way to handle it, but at least no one gets hurt.
Bargaining-Would I ever consider plastic surgery?
Depression-Eating junk food doesn’t solve anything.
Acceptance- Minus all work related parties and functions from the calendar-children make great excuses. Embrace everyone for their differences. Maybe - ask me in the next decade. Stop dwelling on the past and get into shape and enjoy life now.
Of course, I didn’t experience any of these stages (I heard that chuckle). I am only referring to what I have observed from others (Yeah, right).
Besides, I am only 32. That is still young, right? (I can’t even be considered a cougar yet). I have fully embraced my age and the expectations of leading a mature decade (I heard that laugh too). Eight years is fairly long before I will have to worry about the next hurdle of maturity. Anyway I am enjoying life at 32 even with all the craziness involved.
Happy belated 32nd, Tanna!
ReplyDeleteI remember attending one of your birthday parties--maybe 5th or 6th grade? It was a sleep-over, and I got my underwear frozen! That memory will forever be burned in my brain! Anyway, I hope you had fun and a little relaxation. And, YES--32 is still YOUNG!!! (but not young enough to freeze someone's underwear!)
That is absolutely hilarious. I can't believe you remember that.
ReplyDeleteThank you, I did enjoy my day and the evening. My parents took the kids for the night so it was great. James and I played several games of tennis, watched a movie (Slumdog Millionaire-awesome movie) and went to dinner.