Sunday, July 5, 2009

Mosquitoes vs. Humans

We had a lovely 4th of July weekend, but (there is always a but) the mosquitoes were absolutely horrible. So this makes for an interesting decision because I really hate bug spray. I hate spraying chemicals on my children and myself along with smelling like stomach acid (okay so maybe that was uncalled for but it’s true).

Since the weather was the coolest it has ever been since I moved here (that is for the 4th), I made the girls dress in long pants and sweat shirts to watch the fireworks, hoping I wouldn’t have to use the bug spray.

No such luck. Of course, Child #1 wants to wear Capri pants and not long pants, but she does put on a long sleeve dress. I did spray her ankles when the mosquitoes started to bother her. The other two were fine until the mosquitoes got so bad they attacked your face. Thankfully someone had the wipes with bug repellent, but Child #3 refused to allow me to put it on her face.

Once I felt everyone was covered, I sat down. Big mistake. When I sat down, a small part of my skin was exposed between my tennis shoes and my jeans, I should have worn socks. I forgot to mention that mosquitoes are extremely attracted to me, as my dad refers to it as sweet blood. Then my hands started to itch. I had gotten three mosquito bites in a matter of minutes on my hands. Apparently mosquitoes can get you through your jeans too, the upper part of my thigh, the point where the chair and your covered skin meet, I received several attacks.

By the time the fireworks were over, I was itching everywhere. This wasn’t even the worst of it. When we woke up the next morning, Child#3 had about 15 mosquito bites all over her face. Next time I will have to wrestle her to the ground and wipe the bug repellent on her face. I didn’t think it would be that bad. Oh well, another check for the bad mother side.

No comments:

Post a Comment