I have always been a 50/50 kind of gal, Equality for the masses, Women’s Rights. Hell I even brokered a deal with my husband (before he was my husband) if we were going to have children I wasn’t going to be a married woman raising children on my own. I made it very clear this would be a deal breaker for me so I took my snide self to the alter and got married.
Two years later, we had our first beautiful baby girl. Yeah, all that equality shit was thrown out the window, which I gladly accepted because I was dealing with a helpless little precious human being that was mine and needed me. During the baby years, the equality fell into more like 70/30 and currently pulled into 60/40 (I still do all the mornings by myself).
As the years went by, we fell into a pattern, certain chores fell under me because I was the woman and certain chores fell under him because he was the man. You know laundry was mine and the lawn/snow was his (very Little House on the Prairie-like, don’t ya think).
Anyway recently there has been some complaining about physically working all day and then having to come home to cut the lawn, of course, I keep my big mouth shut and don’t list all the things I have to do physically and mentally during the day for the children, work and the household (you can choose to believe that or not depending on how well you know me).
A few weeks ago, after several days of thought, I started mowing the lawn, which takes approximately about an hour to an hour and half depending on how much stuff I have to move around (see I do have some compassion). Yesterday would be the third straight week in a row I have mowed the lawn. After being bit several times by more mosquitoes and feeling pretty sweating and gross, I was ready to take a shower. I head into the house. To my surprise, the whole house was cleaned miraculously. James had cleaned the whole kitchen, vacuumed and got the girls to even pick up their bedrooms.
So I was thinking I really like this role reversal, it’s kind of nice being outside by myself while someone else takes care of the kids and cleans the house even if I am physically pushing the lawn mower. I have to take what I can get because it will never be equal. Why? Because I am the mom. Now I just have to figure out how to fix cars so I don't have to clean bathrooms anymore.
No comments:
Post a Comment