Friday, August 21, 2009

The Thankless Job

It’s nine o’clock. I turned out the light in the girls’ bedroom. Child #2 didn’t want to go to sleep just yet.

“I said no you have to go to bed now. It is way past your bedtime.”

She got out of her bed and was going to turn the light back on.

I told her, “If you turn it back on, I will take back all the shoes I just bought you.”

I leave the room, but still can hear her.

Child #2 says, “You are the meanest mommy ever. I am going to call you step mom. I don’t like you meanie. You are the meanest step mom ever. You’re mean, your meanie mom, you’re mean mom.”

Silence.

Child #2 continues, ”Mom, why are you not listening to me. MOM! Why are you not listening to me. I know you can hear me. You’re mean mom. I know you are ignoring me. You are so mean. You are laughing at me mommy. I know you are laughing. Fine I am going to ignore you mom. I am ignoring you mom. You’re mean mom.”

Silence. I continue ignoring her.

I know you can here me mom. You’re mean mom. You’re laughing. You’re making me fun of me.

I say, “Child #2, I am not laughing at you and I never make fun of you.”

“Yes you are. You’re laughing in your head at me.” Okay so she got me there.

You’re mean, mom. You’re mean, mom. You’re mean mom…

Silence. She fell asleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment