Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Impeccable Driving Record

Since it is Spring Break this week, my phone companion is sleeping in while I still have to drive to work. No problem, I’m a flexible friend. Instead, I can catch up on my relationship with the radio. Considering I am a chronic channel surfer, my car allows me to channel surf safe and easy with the program controls on my steering wheel (just in case you all were wondering about my safety).

On a side note. For the past six years, every morning I have driven to work talking to my friend on my cell phone. I know you’re probably thinking “Oh how dangerous” or “that’s not too smart.” Get over it. It’s cheaper than paying a therapist. Besides the only accident I’ve been in the last ten years was a little fender bender. It was raining out. I thought the person in front of me was going to turn, but the light turned and she stopped and I slid into her at not even 10 mph. And no, I wasn’t talking on the phone. There wasn’t even any damage to her car. In conclusion, I’m a pretty safe driver. Others might disagree, but the record proves them wrong. Ha!

Back to my original train of thought this morning, I normally drive on automatic pilot since the scene is the same every day and I don’t pay any attention to the scenery on the side of the road. Except for the last few weeks, the road I travel to work is under construction and has been shut down. So I’ve been taking a detour to get to work.

For some reason enjoying the music and the new scenery is far more dangerous for me than driving while talking on the cell phone. I get distracted easily. So as I come around the bend to the left and absorb the warming spring air along with the new houses, fields, horse ranch and pretty hills for my viewing. It was like a picture except the road starts to straighten out in front of me. Just as I realize that I need to follow the solid yellow line, I have already crossed it.

With my quick reflexes, I pull myself back to my side the road, although I over compensate and slide off the pavement just grazing the dirt on the shoulder with two tires. During this split second of panic, I have seen myself hit the little blue Saturn that I made swerve out of the way for crossing the line in the first place and ricocheted back to my side of the road and roll my SUV four or five times down the hill (by now you’ve had to know my imagination gets away from me sometimes).

This is a perfectly good reason why I should stick to talking on my cell phone in the morning while driving to work. It’s a lot safer for everyone on the road.

No comments:

Post a Comment