I think I just made the world record of doctor visits in one week. I think it all started with our trip to Monkey Joe’s (translation: the disgusting Petri dish infested with breeding germs www.monkeyjoes.com) a week and a half ago. Child #1 came down with a headache then cough followed by a sore throat then congestion. By the forth day (Thursday), I finally take her to the doctor. They check all the usual and send us home with "it’s a virus." My sister-in-law (who works at our pediatrician’s office) calls me on Saturday to inform me that Child #1 has strep throat (oh goody). She calls in the prescription for me (thanks sis).
In the meantime, Child #3 has come down with similar symptoms so I call the doctor back to make an appointment to get her in to get checked. Back to the doctor we go. They take the throat culture and will let us know in 48 hours.
Monday rolls around, you guessed it, Child #3 tested positive for strep throat. Wouldn’t you know it; Child #2 came down with the same symptoms as well. Back to the doctor we go for the third time. The great culture test is performed again and the 48 hour wait begins except the Doctor gives us a prescription for the antibiotics anyway (thank God). If she is positive then we’re covered, if she is not positive then we stop the drugs.
Of course, I get the call and Child #2 is positive. At this time, you think we’re all good, right? No. I get a call from the daycare telling me Child #3 has a 102 fever so I call the doctor back to take her back in. Child #3 is most likely immune to the antibiotics because she has had so many when she had multiple ear infections when she was an infant. The doctor comes to the same conclusion and we get a new prescription for a different antibiotic. Yippy!
That makes 4 doctor visits in a matter of one week. Granted when Child #3 was born, I did spend every day for two weeks going to the doctor to get her blood tested because her bilirubin count wouldn’t come down. She was jaundice. Considering I didn’t see the doctor every time, I won’t count this as actual doctor visits.
Anyway, the Hansen household is all drugged up and I actually got a full night of sleep last night. I’m still a little cranky, but recovering nicely. On the brighter side, James or I didn’t get sick. Knock on wood.
No comments:
Post a Comment