This is an end to an era. I wanted to believe that this would never happen, but my three lovely children sharing a bedroom together has ended (please excuse the weeping). My husband and I estimated about the ten year mark and not at five years old going on six. Who am I kidding, in my own little world I thought they would blissfully share a room until they were eighteen. There is a lot of great bonding that goes on between eight o’clock and eight-thirty every night.
It all started when Child #1 went to Kindergarten. Now, it has nothing to do with them getting along or fighting or anything you might think. My three children actually get along quite well (which is extremely adorable. I know, but I get to be bias). Don’t get me wrong, they do argue, fight, tattle, tease and make me extremely mad sometimes. But they actually play really nicely together, which out weighs the refereeing time.
In any case, the real reason comes down to sleep. Child #1 is so exhausted from her day she just wants to go to sleep (they don’t take naps in Kindergarten) while Child #2 and Child #3 (still taking naps during the day) are excited to chit chat (this entails giggling, laughing and sometimes teasing) for awhile before they fall asleep. Child #1 has been complaining about this for awhile now, but I have simply been giving her one excuse after another (okay so I’ve been dragging my feet, but I really wanted to make sure she wanted to move out). Well, her requests were becoming more persistent so this weekend was the weekend (she was so excited I couldn’t put it off anymore).
The move involved moving Child #1’s bed into another room and moving a dresser into Child #2 and Child #3’s room. A little switching of toys and shifting of additional furniture and viola the rooms are cleaned and separated.
So bed time comes and Child #1 happily goes into her new bedroom for some peace and quiet. It doesn’t quite hit the other two until they venture into their room and their big sister isn’t there. Child #2 freaks out. She starts to moan she wants her sister in the same room with her (by the sound of the moaning, you might have thought she had died). Then Child #3 catches on and starts to moan as well. I kiss them good night and leave the room. I thought a picket line was going to form. The chanting was quite good. “We want Child #1. We want Child #1. We Want Child #1.” They were even using her nickname they have given her recently so it was even cuter than expected. Okay so it sounded more like moaning cats on a picket fence than an actual protest, but they were definitely in sync.
We’ll see how tomorrow night turns out.
No comments:
Post a Comment